Sunday, March 25, 2012

Photo A Day - Moscow Day 2

One year ago was day two in Moscow, and Becky and I were determined to see some of it. After our trip back to the US Embassy, where we had successfully obtained E's passport with US Visa and the mysterious, thick, brown envelope - along with very strict instructions not to let it out of our site and not to, under penalty of I don't know what, open it! We really wanted to make it to Red Square. It was cold, but sunny when we left the hotel. We bundled E. up and she barely fit in the little umbrella stroller I brought with me. She seemed very pleased to be venturing out and she sang to herself as we walked along.


We started the walk and as we got onto the main thoroughfare the wind started to pick up and it started to snow - it got worse and worse the farther we walked. We made it within about 2 blocks of Red Square and finally decided we'd better say "uncle" and return to the room :(


Do you see the couple in their wedding garb? BRRRRRR - I can't imagine being out in my wedding gown on a day like this. In the distance you can see Red Square - that's how close we got!
Bummer. I know this may sound strange to some, but I felt this spiritual connection to the storm - as though God was turning us around - I have no idea why or what He was turning us away from? But I definitely sensed we were to go back to the room - maybe it was too much for E. - too overstimulating? I don't know, but I definitely felt a peace the minute we turned back. I'm still disappointed we didn't make it to see St. Basil's Cathedral and the Kremlin and many other sites, but I know it was the right thing to return to our little nest in the hotel room. Someday, I hope E. and I will return together - did I mention I hope we go in the Summer? :)


The view from our room - we had really nice big windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment